What a hot topic we have here today! Do you think it's a good idea to get romantically involved with someone from work? I'm sure there is no way to completely avoid it as we spend the biggest parts of our day with our co-workers, but what are the effects it can have on your career growth?
So many people, so many different opinions - let's have a look at a few of them:
- Office Romance: How to Handle a Work Romance (video by howdini.com)
- Monster's Guide to Office Romance (by Monster.com)
- Office Romance Survey 2010 (by Vault.com)
- Think Twice Before Dating a Coworker (by Alison Green of AskAManager.org)
- Office Romance 101 - Relationship Advice for Managers (by ITworld.com)
- How Companies Should Handle Office Romance (by Forbes.com)
- Office Romance Etiquette (by Life123.com)
You are certainly not breaking any laws by getting romantically involved with someone at work, but it's important to calculate whether it is worth the risk. If you do fall in love with someone at work, there are many ways to go about it in a professional manner.
The one thing I would always try to keep in mind is how a romantic relationship at work will affect my personal/professional brand:
- Does it look like I am giving my partner preferential treatment?
- Are we known for our public displays of affection and advances around the office?