February is a very good time to check if you are actually on track. Here are a few things that may help you focus on your goals throughout the year:
- Make sure they are realistic: By selecting goals that you know are within your grasp you actually believe that you can reach them - I am not very athetic so my goals would obviously not include becoming a pro-athlete. But even though they should be within your grasp, ensure that they will stretch your capacity and efforts.
- Assign action items: For each goal, assign yourself some action items to break the goal up into smaller parts. Think about what you can do this week, and then this coming month to reach your goal by the end of the year.
- Find an accountability buddy: Having others around you who remind you of your goals and who are interested in your progress is one of the best ways to feed your efforts towards success.
- Track and celebrate progress: Schedule a monthly reminder for yourself to assess your progress. If you can see you've made some progress, celebrate with a friend or two (what are accountability buddies there for!?)
- Eliminate distractions: Identify the stumbling blocks that trip or distract you. If I want to spend less money on clothes each month, walking around the mall every afternoon is something I need to consider eliminating ☺.
- Keep the end goal in mind: Even if you lose a battle or two, remember the bigger picture and the ultimate goal you want to reach. Most people known for their success can tell you a bunch of stories of all the battles they lost along the way, so don't let them discourage you.
For more ideas on sticking to your
Have a great weekend everyone!