Pages

December 9, 2011

2012 goals: out with the old, in with the new


With every year-end comes the inevitable topic of goals and new year's resolutions. When I was in my early 20's I used to set super ambitious (and often unrealistic) goals, only to realise two months into the year that I might want to rethink them a little. So the approach that works best for me is to keep the following in mind:
  1. Keeping it real - I know what I am capable of and what is within my reach. I know what I am passionate about and what I've always wanted to do (whether it be in my personal life or career). Choosing goals based on my own instincts and dreams is the simplest and most realistic way!
  2. Building on a previous goal - Looking back on this year and seeing the progress I've made with certain goals, I can try set the bar a little higher every year in order to see long-term growth in the career path I've chosen.
  3. Trying something completely new - I always try to challenge myself with one brand new goal to pull me out of my comfort zone a little. Writing this career blog was my new professional goal for 2011, and I am so glad I tried it! I am extremely excited to grow in this new project and I can't wait to see where it will take me!

Have you thought about setting goals for the new year? I would like to encourage each reader to ask yourself what you can add to your current skill set this coming year. Whether you enroll for a course or plan to learn from a mentor or friend, how will you go about adding to your repertoire and resume?

My primary professional goal for 2012 will be to further my studies in the area of management/career coaching and to start applying those principles in my job and in my writing.

I found these posts on setting career goals and setting smart goals - enjoy!

(I'm very excited to tell you that this post was mentioned on Brazen Careerist - have a look!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!